Friday, November 11, 2011

Auntyji


If you are a woman, approaching fifty and like voicing opinions in India, the trendy young will label you only one way: an Auntyji with a desperate need to be politically correct.

There is an unfair assumption that the solo slant you will contribute will be a moral one. There is a hasty assumption of implicit fear, an impatient presumption of a certain wariness of social disapproval. 

The desire to maintain status quo is what shines from over your aging skull so far as they see it. It is therefore very hard for some twenty somethings to appreciate that you did cross that milestone once on your way to middle age.

As a rule, I support young people who invest in social revolutions. I may differ personally on issues e.g. I do not support sexual adventurism amongst the young; I do believe that the women’s fight for freedom need not extend to the liberty to stand and pee; I certainly do not equate free speech with foul language; I do hold that personal choices come with the onus for bearing the resultant consequences; there absolutely is relatively greater black and white in my book of life’s rules  vis- a-vis the grey. To the obvious labels that would then ensue such as ‘rigid’ or ‘unrealistic’ or ‘politically correct’ or ‘antiquated’ or ‘out of sync’……my defence would be only one word: time! Time will tell. Time always tells.

It is with time that I have realized that the more we have changed the more we have managed to remain the same.

This phenomenal discovery however, is far from what I wish upon the socially conscious young who are trying to make a difference today. The fact that change does not snowball fast enough is no reason to stop and give up. Socially, we most certainly have covered some path.  But it does baffle me somewhat when young Turks dismiss the inputs of my generation out of hand. What happens to their avowed principle of being open and receptive to all voices? Since when did fighting shy of fifty become synonymous with fighting shy of sanity?

Lest they forget, India’s new brand of social revolutionaries would do well to acknowledge that as a generation they probably have had the fortune of greater parental/family support than any preceding line-up.  

No comments: